Chocolate Florentines – The Mail
1 tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
1 ripe small banana (approx. 65g peeled weight), peeled and mashed
40g rolled oats
40g desiccated coconut
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 balls of stem ginger (approx. 20g), diced
1 tbsp ginger syrup
50g flaked almonds, roughly chopped
60g dark chocolate (70% or more)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 3 and grease a 12-hole cupcake tray with a little coconut oil. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the coconut oil in a bowl and melt in the microwave for a few seconds. Add the mashed banana, rolled oats, desiccated coconut and cocoa powder and mix well.
3. Using a dessert spoon, divide the mixture between the holes of the cupcake tray and press it into the base and sides to line them. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix the stem ginger, syrup and flaked almonds together in a small bowl, so the almonds are well coated.
5. Remove the tray from the oven and, using a teaspoon, spread the sticky almond mixture into the bases. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the nuts are slightly golden in places. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
6. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a bainmarie. Remove the biscuits from the tray and dip each one in the chocolate to coat the base (or drizzle chocolate over the top). Place them on the prepared baking tray to set. Store in the fridge or a cool place.